In an effort to test a few theories on how the side vent should be incorporated into the body of the Rally Fighter, we decided to use the digital body data, fire up the 3D printer and print a section of the body so we could run a few tests.
Here's the section (in blue) of the 3D data that we decided to print:
After the part was infiltrated and has now had time to cure, we will modify it and add a few parts to compare with the sketched and digital data we have to confirm design intent and feasibility of manufacture. This is yet another thing that we'd have to outsource and wait days or even weeks for if it wasn't for having the 3D printer right in our own shop. As I've mentioned in the past, this is crucial in times like this since Aurel is out in California at ATG making changes in real time with the team there and needs nearly instant feedback on issues like this to keep moving forward with the most suitable and manufacturable elements for the design of the Rally Fighter.
More updates on the body engineering progress to come!